These days you’d have to be living under a rock
if you weren’t aware of how much damage we
are doing to our environment. Reducing our
carbon footprint should be something we are at
least thinking about, and where possible taking
regular action to improve.
Can this be done when it comes to our fitness and workout routine? Absolutely!
1. Do more exercise outdoors – by reducing the
use of electrical equipment like treadmills and
venues like gyms that use tons of energy, we are
not only reducing our personal contribution to
energy consumption, we also get the benefits
of fresh air, sunshine and exposure to negative
ions (if we are lucky enough to be coastal) from
2. Use second-hand or eco-friendly workout gear & equipment – Setting yourself up at home with some basic workout equipment doesn’t have to be an expensive ordeal. Check pages like Gumtree, Facebook marketplace and local buy, swap sell groups for second- hand equipment that’s still in good working condition. There are also many eco-friendly companies now that provide excellent quality workout clothes and equipment that have “environment-friendly” as their top values
3. Buy a reusable water bottle – As easy as it is to forget your water bottle and buy a new Mount Franklin every exercise session, just a little effort and investment in a plastic-free one will be better for your health & the environment.
4. Fuel-free commutes – if you live close
enough, why not bike it or jog to your workout
location and use it as your warm up and cool
5. Buy local – find your local farmers market
& get better produce while supporting local
business. As we know, eating unprocessed,
whole foods, mostly plant-based will in and of
itself lessen our carbon footprint.
6. Exercise at home – it’s convenient, private
and difficult to avoid your own lounge room!
Jump on our YouTube channel (go to YouTube.
com and search for Unleash Fit Living) and get
your sweat session done without leaving the
7. Get exercise-social – find a workout buddy,
join an outdoor group fitness challenge, or
jump on a local sports team. That way you’ll
lessen the use of energy of a 24/7 gym and get
the benefit of social interaction.
We’d love to hear from you how you’re greening
your exercise routine!
Hi, I’m Alisha. I live on the southern end of the Gold Coast with my wonderful husband Dan, and our gorgeous little boy Leo. My love of fitness began in high school with a Les Mills pump class. Ever since I’ve had a gym membership and have been lifting weights, because I love feeling strong […]
According to the latest seasonal update from the Department of Primary Resources, the drought remains wide spread across all of New South Wales. 99.9% of the state is in drought conditions and 33.5% is classified as being in intense drought. The western area of New South Wales is particularly affected with prolonged drought conditions. Due […]
Only 30 years old, Keaton’s accomplishments far surpass the best of us. He has a master’s degree, he was associate lecturer in mathematics at the University of Newcastle, he won an academic award in the science faculty at Avondale College, he once raised over $6,000 for ADRA Tanzania by riding his pushbike from London to […]