These days you’d have to be living under a rock
if you weren’t aware of how much damage we
are doing to our environment. Reducing our
carbon footprint should be something we are at
least thinking about, and where possible taking
regular action to improve.
Can this be done when it comes to our fitness and workout routine? Absolutely!
1. Do more exercise outdoors – by reducing the
use of electrical equipment like treadmills and
venues like gyms that use tons of energy, we are
not only reducing our personal contribution to
energy consumption, we also get the benefits
of fresh air, sunshine and exposure to negative
ions (if we are lucky enough to be coastal) from
2. Use second-hand or eco-friendly workout gear & equipment – Setting yourself up at home with some basic workout equipment doesn’t have to be an expensive ordeal. Check pages like Gumtree, Facebook marketplace and local buy, swap sell groups for second- hand equipment that’s still in good working condition. There are also many eco-friendly companies now that provide excellent quality workout clothes and equipment that have “environment-friendly” as their top values
3. Buy a reusable water bottle – As easy as it is to forget your water bottle and buy a new Mount Franklin every exercise session, just a little effort and investment in a plastic-free one will be better for your health & the environment.
4. Fuel-free commutes – if you live close
enough, why not bike it or jog to your workout
location and use it as your warm up and cool
5. Buy local – find your local farmers market
& get better produce while supporting local
business. As we know, eating unprocessed,
whole foods, mostly plant-based will in and of
itself lessen our carbon footprint.
6. Exercise at home – it’s convenient, private
and difficult to avoid your own lounge room!
Jump on our YouTube channel (go to YouTube.
com and search for Unleash Fit Living) and get
your sweat session done without leaving the
7. Get exercise-social – find a workout buddy,
join an outdoor group fitness challenge, or
jump on a local sports team. That way you’ll
lessen the use of energy of a 24/7 gym and get
the benefit of social interaction.
We’d love to hear from you how you’re greening
your exercise routine!
7 ways you can turn your exercise routine green. These days you’d have to be living under a rock if you weren’t aware of how much damage we are doing to our environment. Reducing our carbon footprint should be something we are at least thinking about, and where possible taking regular action to improve. Can […]
When you think of your 20s, you imagine precious short years of freedom where you can choose to do anything at all. Want to study? Sure. Want to take a gap year and travel? No problem. Want to stay up and party as late as you want? You certainly have the energy. These are the […]
Christmas time is not my favourite time if I’m honest. I worked in marketing and advertising for many years, and if I have to produce one more Christmas sale TV ad or hear one more cheesy commercialised carol it will get me depressed. Right up until Christmas eve that is, when all of that stops […]
53y Marcia Gouveia’s story of recovery from chronic depression and anxiety - By Camila Skaf At the age of forty-eight, my mother was diagnosed with Chronic Anxiety and Depression. Unfortunately, it is the fate of many of us today living in such a fast paced, high standards world; where we have to be informed about […]