These days you’d have to be living under a rock if you weren’t aware of how much damage we are doing to our environment. Reducing our carbon footprint should be something we are at least thinking about, and where possible taking regular action to improve.
Can this be done when it comes to our fitness and workout routine? Absolutely!
1. Do more exercise outdoors – by reducing the use of electrical equipment like treadmills and venues like gyms that use tons of energy, we are not only reducing our personal contribution to energy consumption, we also get the benefits of fresh air, sunshine and exposure to negative ions (if we are lucky enough to be coastal) from exercising outdoors.
2. Use second-hand or eco-friendly workout gear & equipment – Setting yourself up at home with some basic workout equipment doesn’t have to be an expensive ordeal. Check pages like Gumtree, Facebook marketplace and local buy, swap sell groups for second- hand equipment that’s still in good working condition. There are also many eco-friendly companies now that provide excellent quality workout clothes and equipment that have “environment-friendly” as their top values
3. Buy a reusable water bottle – As easy as it is to forget your water bottle and buy a new Mount Franklin every exercise session, just a little effort and investment in a plastic-free one will be better for your health & the environment.
4. Fuel-free commutes – if you live close enough, why not bike it or jog to your workout location and use it as your warm up and cool down?
5. Buy local – find your local farmers market & get better produce while supporting local business. As we know, eating unprocessed, whole foods, mostly plant-based will in and of itself lessen our carbon footprint.
6. Exercise at home – it’s convenient, private and difficult to avoid your own lounge room! Jump on our YouTube channel (go to YouTube. com and search for Unleash Fit Living) and get your sweat session done without leaving the house.
7. Get exercise-social – find a workout buddy, join an outdoor group fitness challenge, or jump on a local sports team. That way you’ll lessen the use of energy of a 24/7 gym and get the benefit of social interaction.
We’d love to hear from you how you’re greening your exercise routine!
If you could pick an age to return to in life, what age would you pick? I sit here realising that my 60th birthday is not that far away. While I appreciate the experiences, knowledge and wisdom that comes with age, my back hurts when I get out of bed in the morning and my […]
Melinda Archer's Story Melinda Archer is a certifies Community Health Educator who is passionate about empowering people to live longer and stronger through diet and lifestyle choices. She has been a ‘Plant-based Ambassador’ for 10+ years, spreading the word on healthy- eating through Plant-based Cooking Classes, Grocery Store Tours, Kitchen Workshops and Vegan Cafe Nights. […]
Inspiring Community Members Making An Impact In Central Australia Finke is a quiet town. There’s not much surrounding it but red dirt and bush. Located in the dead centre of Australia, in the Northern Territory, approximately 317 km south of Alice Springs, this Aboriginal settlement is home to around 160 people. When you arrive, you’ll […]
Supporting The Outback Communities. Even with the recent rains, outback Australia is still in drought and regional towns have taken a huge hit, economically and socially. There are still towns that are running out of water. But what can the majority of Australians, live on the coast, do to lend a helping hand? Turns out […]